Lukla is a popular trekking hub for adventure lovers who want to view Top of the world – Mt. Everest. It is also the gateway to the Khumbu region which has a vibrant Sherpa community.
To reach Lukla, you just have two options. One option is to take a morning Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. The other option is to take a bus or jeep from Kathmandu to Salleri (7-8 hours) then trek for 2-3 days to reach Lukla.
In this post, we will be more focusing on a flight to Lukla rather than overland.
In peak season (Spring & Autumn), more than 400 trekkers plan an exciting trek to Everest Base Camp (5364m) and other Everest trek route. What even more exciting and adventurous is the 30 minutes Kathmandu to Lukla flight. As you know, Lukla airport is one of the most dangerous airports in the world and busiest airport in Nepal.
If you got lucky to find the left window seat then you can have a breathtaking view of Mt. Everest, Mt. Langtang, Mt. Gauri Shankar and other mountain regions which will blow your mind.
Table of Contents
- What is the Flight Schedule to Lukla?
- How much does Lukla Flight Cost?
- What are the airlines that operate a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla?
- What are the safety measures for Kathmandu to Lukla Flight?
- What is the baggage allowance for Kathmandu to Lukla Flight?
- What is the total flight distance from Kathmandu to Lukla?
- What are the tips for Flight to Lukla?
- Kathmandu to Lukla Flight: UPDATE
What is the Flight Schedule to Lukla?
Daily, there is an average of 25 flights to Lukla. While in low season (Winter & Summer), there are only 2-3 flights per day. The first-morning flight starts from 6 AM to noon. Sometimes, in good weather, flight schedule can extend to 3 PM.
How much does Lukla Flight Cost?
The one-way flight from Kathmandu to Lukla cost for International travelers is USD 168 per person. Whereas, the round-trip flight cost USD 336 per person.
For an Indian citizen, a one-way flight from Kathmandu to Lukla cost INR 9250 per person and INR 18500 per person for a round-trip.
What are the airlines that operate a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla?
In total, there are three domestic airlines, which are operating currently. To name – Sita Air, Tara Air, and Summit Air.
Sita airlines have three Dornier DO 228 aircraft model. It can carry 13 passengers. Whereas, Tara airlines have three Dornier DO 228 aircraft model and two Twin Otter DHC 6/300 aircraft model. It can also carry 13 passengers.
Lastly, Summit airlines have three Turbolet LET L-410 aircraft model. It can carry 19 passengers.
What are the safety measures for Kathmandu to Lukla Flight?
Lukla airport is considered as dangerous due to its short runway (475m). Due to its geographical locations, weather changes quickly. While landing and take-off, you can feel the thrilling adventure.
For further, kindly have a look at following safety instructions card issued by Sita Air.
What is the baggage allowance for Kathmandu to Lukla Flight?
You can carry maximum 10Kg of luggage (two pieces) and maximum 5kg of hand-carry. If you want to carry more than 15kg, you have to pay USD 1 per kg extra.
What is the total flight distance from Kathmandu to Lukla?
The total distance from Kathmandu to Lukla is 140km or 87 miles.
What are the tips for Flight to Lukla?
- Make sure to book a first flight ticket to Lukla. It is because due to a less chance of flight cancellation on a first flight
- In aircraft, there is not any seat number (first come, first basis). Try to get a left seat to view incredible mountains
- Use cotton wool for an ear (provided by air hostess)
- Carry some snacks, chocolate bars, and water (in case of a flight delay)
- If you buy a flight ticket from an agency. In case of a flight cancel, your money will be refunded fully
- In peak season (Spring and Autumn), buy a Lukla ticket prior to one month
Are you planning to trek Everest Base Camp Trek or Everest Gokyo Trek or Everest Three Passes Trek or any other treks around the Everest region? We can help to organize your trip. Feel free to contact us.
Kathmandu to Lukla Flight: UPDATE
Due to ongoing runway maintenance in Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu. Starting from 1st April 2019 to June 30, 2019, all Lukla flight to or from are operated from Manthali Airport, Ramechap (RCH).
Manthali Airport is 133 KM far from the capital, Kathmandu which takes 4-5 hours of driving via Private Jeep or Local Bus.
Contact us if you want to get a flight ticket to Lukla. We offer a free shuttle service to Ramechap in our Everest Base Camp Trek, Everest View Trek, Everest Cho La Pass Trek, Everest Three Passes Trek.
Hurry up! Book your flight to Lukla now with Mount Mania and grab the offer.